NodeJS - Setup a Simple HTTP Server / Local Web Server
This is a quick post to show you how to setup a simple HTTP web server on your local machine using NodeJS. The web server runs on the http-server npm package, a simple zero-configuration http server for serving static files to the browser, it's started from the command line and doesn't require a server.js file.
Download and Install NodeJS
If you haven't installed Node yet, download the latest stable release of NodeJS from https://nodejs.org and install using all the default options.
Install the http-server package from npm
Install the http-server globally on your machine using the node package manager (npm) command line tool, this will allow you to run a web server from anywhere on your computer.
Open a command prompt / command line window and enter the following:
npm install -g http-server
Start a web server from a directory containing static website files
Start the server with this command:
You should see something like the following:
C:\projects\angular-registration-login-example>http-server Starting up http-server, serving ./ Available on: http://192.168.0.5:8080 http://127.0.0.1:8080 Hit CTRL-C to stop the server
Browse to your local website with a browser
Open your browser and go to the address http://localhost:8080 and you should see your local website.
Subscribe or Follow Me For Updates
Subscribe to my YouTube channel or follow me on Twitter, Facebook or GitHub to be notified when I post new content.
- Subscribe on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/JasonWatmore
- Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jason_watmore
- Follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/JasonWatmoreBlog
- Follow me on GitHub at https://github.com/cornflourblue
- Feed formats available: RSS, Atom, JSON
Other than coding...
I'm currently attempting to travel around Australia by motorcycle with my wife Tina on a pair of Royal Enfield Himalayans. You can follow our adventures on YouTube, Instagram and Facebook.
- Subscribe on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/TinaAndJason
- Follow us on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/tinaandjason
- Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TinaAndJasonVlog
- Visit our website at https://tinaandjason.com.au
Need Some NodeJS Help?
Search fiverr to find help quickly from experienced NodeJS developers.